Nov 2, 2009

The Bathroom Revealed!

Our little bathroom project finally got finished last week and here is my promised post, much later than I initially promised but better late than never!

Here is the before. Although I forgot to actually take a proper before picture since the medicine cabinet and linen cabinet had already been taken down and the vanity painted.

All of the fixtures were a golden oak color with brass hardware and the wall color was too minty green for my tastes.

You can see the white stick on tiles with the roses in the center in the picture above.

And AFTER!!

Our bathroom is tiny so this is the overall shot, even though you cannot see the tub.

I think the best bargain we got for the entire project is that wood blind in the window, I got it on clearance at Target for $7.49!

I painted all of the wood fixtures in the bathroom a dark espresso color and we also purchased the cheapest light fixtures we could find.

Although they are not what I would have loved to get they were the right price and putting a light over the medicine cabinet instead of beside it would have been to time and cost intensive what with all the patching and sheetrocking that would have had to happen. I just tell myself they are Hollywood Glamor lights.

A shot of the linen cabinet.


My big splurge for the bathroom, a new shower curtain from Target.

A few weeks before I decided to redo the bathroom I saw a simple white shower curtain with a border around it on clearance for $12.99 but I decided I didn't need it because I was not going to be redoing the bathroom for awhile. Ha! Although I feel a little annoyed that I missed a good deal I really like the graphic pattern on the shower curtain and I like the modern feel it gives the space.

Here you can see the wall color a little better.

I am not completely happy with the color. I wanted more of a tan/taupe and this color has undertones of green/yellow. But you can't return paint and I had already started so I decided to just live with it. Its definitely better than what was in there!!

The best part of our bathroom remodel is how cheap it was. A lot of items we had from different projects or had taken from our previous house or had been given to us.

Here is a quick price rundown :

Quart of Brown Paint: $8
Half a gallon of wall color: $10
Flooring: Free, leftover from my sister's bathroom remodel
Flooring installation supplies: $6
Window Blind: $7.49
Shower curtain: $26.99
Shower curtain liner: $5.99
Shower curtain hooks: Already had
Rug: Already had from our previous house
Towel bar and toilet paper holder: Already had from our previous house
Wall towel hooks: $5
Door handles: Leftover from some I bought for our kitchen
Light fixtures: $20
Miscellaneous painting and installation materials: $10

Total bathroom cost: $99.47

Thats right, for under a $100 our bathroom looks completely different!

I still need to touch up the white trim around the window (if you look closely at the picture of the window you can see holes that have been patched) and it would be nice to have a rug that fit, ours is too big, and of course something decorative for the teeny tiny wall space by the door. But I think I can safely say this is the only room in the house that I would considered decorated to my taste and for the most part, done!!

Tell us what you think!

1 comment: