Oct 21, 2009

The Bathroom Saga

So Rachel has been wanting to change the bathroom. I have not been so excited. I didn't want to start another project. My list is already too big. (Sorry Gary and Kay about your snowmobile. On a good note; I think a already have a buyer for it. I just need to get it done.) So, the other day I'm in the basement while Rachel is going to the bathroom. She gets done and flushes like usual. About a second later I hear drip,drip, drip, drip, drip. Drip... Drip... Drip... I think to my self "Well that can't be good."

I look into it and sure enough our toilet has a pretty good leak every time you flush. So our no pressure, low key, project just became a very important one. I still didn't want to do it. Rachel kept on painting when ever she had the chance. (I should also add that I have not been feeling good for a couple of weeks. So that adds to the lack of interest for me.)

On Saturday I woke up at 5:30 to go hunting. For the first time in a long time I feel great. While out hunting I decide I'm going to finish the bath room. TODAY! So I came home about 1:30 - 2:00ish and got right to work. I needed to remove all of the old floor.

Here is the mess.


This is after I have ripped up all the floor.

 
 
This is where the toilet should be. Notice the very large discolored old wood floor. (Not the really black stuff. That's old flooring that I couldn't get up.) The darker brow is all black mold. That's right Black Mold! You can only guess at the smell. It was bad. I found some stuff to kill the mold and sprayed it so much that it drowned. Then I scrubbed it all with a scotch pad. I wore a plastic bag over my hand so I wouldn't get it on me. Then when I finished I flipped the bag inside out with the pad in it tied it up and in the garbage it went. I then used a blow drier to heat the flow in an attempt to dry it out. I got tired of doing that so I took our little space heater, pointed it at the floor and turned it on high. This entire time the door to the bathroom is closed. It reached about 90 degrees in that little room in no time. 
 
I then painted everywhere Rachel could not get. My father then came over and we laid the flooring and started to reassemble. I still need to install the molding around the floor and then we are done. Maybe I will do that now. After all it's only 9:00pm... The night is young!



2 comments:

  1. Question, where did you go to the bathroom while you didn't have a toilet? This has been bothering me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't. He pulled the toilet at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and I went to work at 5 so I could use the bathrooms there. The toilet was back in around 10 or 11 that night!

    ReplyDelete